Skip to main content

The Doshas; the result of mother nature manifesting herself into reality

                                       Doshas | Ayurveda Dosha

The Doshas are three forces that all of us naturally have, however one typically dominates over the other two. The following universal elements represent each Dosha uniquely in mother nature: Vata (air & space), Pitta (fire), and Kapha (earth & water). It is important to balance these Doshas as it is a form of soul healing. Your mind, body, spirit, emotions, senses, health, and well-being are all affected on a daily basis. We must make a conscious effort to keep our doshas in a balanced state at all times. 

1. VATA

Vata aids in physical processes. According to Bodhi Yoga, "the Air element governs sensory and mental balance" (Bodhi 4). This force is particularly found in empty spaces and fine channels of the mind and body. Vata traits are light, dry, and cold. 

2. PITTA

Pitta aids in chemical and metabolic processes. According to Bodhi Yoga, "Pitta governs all aspects of light and warmth in the mind and body" (Bodhi 5). This force is present in the body as a fluid, specifically in an acidic form. Pitta traits are oily, hot, and moist. 

3. KAPHA

Kapha aids in physical and emotional support, substance, and consists of most of the bodily tissues.  Some of the positive emotional traits supported are love, compassion, patience, and forgiveness. According to Bodhi Yoga, "it is produced above as phlegm in the lungs and stomach" (Bodhi 6). Kapha traits are cold, heavy, and moist. 


How do I keep these Doshas in balance at all times? 

Practicing Pranayama regularly is extremely therapeutic for all three doshas. By controlling one's breath with movements between asanas or just being planted on the ground, one will experience balanced Doshas. 


www.gobodhiyoga.com

Gracen Kahn Pernia © 2020 All Rights Reserved 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tamasic Energy

Tamas /Upward-Downward Movement        Tamas movement is strong, deep, and internally focused. In yoga, this would be the movement deep within the focus of each postures. It is the up and down currents of extension of the head and connection of the feet. Tamas is the listening in conversation. It is tamasic nature that keeps one from trying a posture or re-coiling from participating or receiving a hands-on adjustment, which is intended to improve the yoga experience.  chakrasana www.gobodhiyoga.com Gracen Kahn Pernia  © 2020 All Rights Reserved.

Ayurvedic Lifestyle

Living an Ayurvedic lifestyle takes discipline. When I concluded my yoga teacher training, I decided to further explore Ayurveda.  Ayurveda is known as the "science of life". One who eats an Ayurvedic diet and lives an Ayurvedic lifestyle is said to live to their optimal health. I am participating in an Ayurvedic cleanse to honor my body's doshic makeup. By doing an Ayurvedic cleanse, I reduce inflammation and mucus build up in my body.  When the body is out of equilibrium, "dis-ease" manifests. When we completely rid our bodies of inflammation and excess mucus, the body can actually heal itself. I personally believe combining several practices can really enhance a person's well being. Before I list what has worked for me, this is not at all medical advice and always recommend you consult with your physician.  I have done a 360 transformation in a little over 1 year. I began by practicing Bodhi Yoga with an Ayurvedic focus. This yoga opened me up in a new li...

Another fave!

I have so many favorite things about yoga that I have learned thus far. My most favorite by far would have to be curing my insomnia. Normally, I cannot stay asleep throughout the night and I constantly toss and turn---and let me tell you my mattress is NICE. My pillows and comforter are extravagant but that doesn't always solve sleep problems. Practicing Ayurveda and doing a 28 day Ayurvedic cleanse has been absolutely therapeutic for me. Your mind affects you in so many ways on a daily basis. Our brains are absorbing all kinds of information throughout the day and it's most of the time negative! By simply changing the way you eat to a healthier diet, it alters the kind of energy you are consuming on a daily basis. For example, if I go eat Chick-fil-a I am 100% going to feel extremely sleepy groggy afterwards. Why? Those chickens that are being factory farmed for fast food are dying and suffering when they are killed for consumption. That negative energy STAYS in the meat and...